Sunday, September 27, 2009

The developing word

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/27/books/review/Krystal-t.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

I was reading the above article today when I realized that there exists a clear separation between spoken and written word. My presentation the other day reminded me of this. While working on a paper, while writing on page, the words in my head seem to flow, however, when speaking they lurch out and I sound like I'm having a stroke. This makes sense to me and it also seems to draw some light no the bible, documentary hypothesis, and the mythological tones that the bible takes.

We learned in the Oral traditions class last semester that the psychodynamics of speaking are much different than those of writing. In the bible, there's a convergence of oral tendencies via parataxis and repetition. In the P writer sections there's lists of ancestry trees. During the time when this was written there was a definite need for people to look into their past. This is a facet of the first level of Frye's stages of literacy. This isn't really an analysis. I just thought it was interesting how this convergence is still a facet of our current day society.

No comments:

Post a Comment